Connected texts to reinforce learning
- 340 Student Books (170 pairs of books) organized into 9 Developmental Reading Stages.
- Paired books address the same concepts, vocabulary, and high-frequency words in different text types and sentence structures.
- High-frequency words are gradually and systematically introduced and reused.
- There is a high rate of repetition of high-frequency words and a low ratio of unfamiliar words.
- There is a balance of illustrated narrative and photographic informational books.
- There is a wide range of text types: narratives, recounts, procedures, explanations, and reports.
Easy-to-use Lesson Plans for practical and systematic instruction
- 170 Lesson Plans: one for each pair of books.
- There are Before, During, and After Reading Activities for each book, plus a synthesizing activity focusing on the key concept of both books.
- Each Lesson Plan can be split into four 30-minute instructional sessions and one review session.
- Each Lesson Plan integrates oral language, comprehension, phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary development, fluency, and writing.
- Each Lesson Plan includes ongoing assessment and follow-up activities.
Provide direct reading support
- Unique to the Early Emergent Stage, there is one Vocabulary Starter for each pair of books (24 in total).
- Each Vocabulary Starter introduces the written form of key vocabulary through unambiguous, labeled photographs.
- Vocabulary Starters can be read as a book, or displayed as a word bank to support beginning readers and writers.
- On the back of the photographs are suggestions for building oral, reading, and writing vocabulary, as well as reading and writing activities for each book.
Beginning at Level N, the paired-text concept is built upon with Perspectives, volumes of short, point-of-view texts exploring the issues raised in the paired texts. Fully supported with a Lesson Plan Card for every title, Perspectives will help you engage and support students in critical discussions, assist them in recognizing different point of view, and write persuasively from their own perspectives.
Economical, black and white versions of 146 Student Books (one title from each pair of books through Level P) provide:
- Additional reading and writing activities for home
- Opportunities for parental involvement
- Repetitive readings to build fluency